Monday, July 5, 2010

My Goal

What I intend to do is collect either a sample, a sample of a compound, or a relevant sample to every element on the periodic table, and tell you about one element every week at least! It is also a goal of mine not to buy any samples sold specifically to collectors like me, but to find them in what they are used for or how they are found in nature(For the more unusual(or very common) ones though, I may resort to buying a small sample for purity sake) I may also do side-projects you can do with these elements in between posts. Why you ask? Mostly for my own enjoyment, but also to share information I've learned myself, and help anyone else with the same fascination!

Assumably some elements are easy and found every day, such as Aluminum, Copper, Nickel if you're lucky. However some elements are extremely rare and basically unused in any common household item or process, such as Iridium, Osmium, Uranium, etc. I will try to alternate posting info on simple elements and rare ones, but still, it won't be easy.

However, I will disclaim that some processes I do to isolate elements are dangerous, and generally when dealing with any chemicals you don't know very well there is a high risk of poisoning or even explosions. I highly suggest you don't try anything I do unless you understand the process, or fully think it's worth the risks.

Also, I may find items containing rare elements or know where to find them, but if I cannot afford them, I cannot photograph them and therefor won't ad them to my collection. My budget currently isn't very high, but you can help by hitting the donate button to the right of these posts!

Thank you for reading, my next post will be on what defines elements and some basic chemistry to understand terms I'll use later. After that, I start on only elements and side notes!

~Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment